CV Writing, this must be one of the most written blog in the recruitment world, Maybe because it can make or break your application!!!
Why is it so important to make sure your CV is as good as it can be????
Over the years I’ve seen a number of problems people face when writing CV’s
Now, Recruitment is my world, It’s what i do all day everyday so it’s easy for me to see these mistakes and any good recruiter will work on your CV to make sure it reflects you in the best possible light and gives you the best chance of landing that dream job
But you have to make your CV stand out to Recruitment consultants too, maybe even more so, we look at so many everyday, you could easily be overlooked for something as innocent as not updating your CV with your current employer details.
My advice is –
- Keep it simple, don’t do a CV as a photo file, PDF or online template, whilst i admire your creativity, when your CV to goes to an agency they need to put your details on their database and send your CV out with their details on it, if it can’t be edited this makes a lengthy job for the consultant
- If you have had a period of unemployment, acknowledge it and explain, if it’s missed off it can imply all manner of things and may mean the recruiter will put you lower down the suitability list
- Give lots of detail, but don’t go into too much detail, nobody will read a 4+ page CV (Save some for the interview)
- Be honest, don’t claim to have done all manner of things on a CV to land a job, there is almost an absolute certainty that you will be caught out!
- Make sure your contact details are on your CV, may seem obvious but a surprising amount leave this off.